Friday, February 20

unfinished symphony in cream







the world brilliantly bathed
in a shaft of morning sun
makes my heart ache to go out
and leave my poem
to its own devices


© Girl Friday


That brilliant sunshine in the original speaks to the poet and not to the poem.
No anthropomorphism* in haiku, if I remember correctly. Therefore it is the poet that is desperate to get away from his desk and those lines that won't come, and it is the poem that is abandoned and one might say lonely, although 'left to its own devices' is possibly a more sensible description.



*Attribution of human motivation, characteristics, or behaviour to inanimate objects, animals, or natural phenomena.

Written for a prompt at CarpeDiem>


4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yes, I've felt that way before and it usually is better because you come back renewed. Let the little poem be lonely for a time.

Unknown said...

Wonderfully done...love this twist...leaving unfinished work sometimes makes me feel like leaving the children to play while I enjoy a good book or work in the garden.

Chèvrefeuille said...

In my opinion the poet can be in her/his own poem ... it makes it even a stronger one, because as a poet writes about him/herself in his/her poem he/she shows who he/she is ...

joanna uk said...


@ Kristjaan:

I have added the definition of anthropomorphism.
That may make my remarks a little clearer to you.